Careers: Associate Corporate Counsel
Apply here for the Associate Corporate Counsel role! Our Recruiting Manager will get back to you within 48 hours.
Builders Capital is revolutionizing the construction finance industry. Our team designs and executes financing solutions for builders and developers nationwide, supported by a proprietary technology platform that streamlines the entire relationship from application to funding requests to payoffs. The demand for our financing solutions has been steadily and rapidly increasing across the United States, and our team is growing to meet that demand. As a member of the Builders Capital legal team, you will be an integral part of our dynamic company with the opportunity to engage in myriad ways.
The ideal Associate Corporate Counsel candidate is experienced, hard-working, detail-oriented, proactive, and committed to providing outstanding service every day.
The primary function of this role is to work with the loan production and servicing teams as well as company clients and third parties to address underwriting, title insurance and loan documentation issues.
This role will also participate in various transactional due diligence and research jurisdiction-specific issues and opportunities in coordination with outside counsel.
In this role you will:
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to work under time-sensitive deadlines, creating efficiencies for addressing a high volume of loan originations.
- Work with the business and our customers to identify risks and develop solutions in the negotiation and documentation process, including through preparing subordination and other intercreditor agreements, and customization of loan documents for higher-value loans.
- Review title insurance commitments and apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to resolve title encumbrance risks, including through title insurance and applicable endorsements.
- Analyze borrower and affiliate-party ownership and authority structures and provide related counsel to the underwriting and loan origination teams.
- Oversee loan servicing events and loan modification documentation, including loan workouts with borrowers deemed to be high-risk.
- Assist in developing and implementing documentation for new and existing loan products and processes aimed at improving business efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Engage proactively with various interested parties, including borrowers, attorneys, capital partners, and title insurers.
- Respond promptly to and diligently follow-up on requests from internal employees, outside counsel, and appointed receivers.
- Research and establish multistate licensing, lending and default guidance in coordination with outside counsel.
- J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
- 3+ years legal experience (including experience with a highly regarded law firm or prominent commercial lender)
- Strong background in construction and real estate finance (with experience representing lenders preferred)
- Experience with title encumbrance and insurance issues, including familiarity with commercial lender title endorsements
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to consistently produce high quality work-product and demonstrate high attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a cross-functional team
- Applicable experience necessary to understand not only the legal issues but also the business considerations relevant to our industry
- Process-oriented with the ability and desire to identify, develop and implement efficiencies and improvements
- Competitive wages
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Health insurance – Builders Capital pays 100% of employee Medical insurance premiums
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) – Builders Capital contributes $125 dollars per month into an employee HRA
- 401(k) match
This position is based in the Builders Capital corporate office in Puyallup, Washington.
This job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job; however, there may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Construction Loan Services II LLC (Builders Capital) and its affiliates are Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employers and welcome all qualified applicants. This is a full-time exempt position. The job description contained herein is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position, which may change without notice.