Careers: Corporate Counsel
Apply here for the Corporate Counsel role! Our Recruiting Manager will get back to you within 48 hours.
Builders Capital is revolutionizing the construction finance industry. Our team designs and executes financing solutions for builders and developers nationwide, supported by a proprietary technology platform that streamlines the entire relationship from application to funding requests to payoffs. The demand for our financing solutions has been steadily and rapidly increasing across the United States, and our team is growing to meet that demand. As a member of the Builders Capital legal team, you will be an integral part of our dynamic company with the opportunity to engage in myriad ways.
The ideal Corporate Counsel candidate is experienced, hard-working, detail-oriented, proactive, and committed to providing outstanding service every day.
The primary function of this role is to work with the business to ensure development and construction loan opportunities are appropriately underwritten and documented.
This role will also participate in the overall strategy and execution of a compliance program for a national lender, harmonizing the company’s activities and processes to conform to applicable laws and regulations.
In addition, this role will have an opportunity to participate in the strategy and execution of enforcing the company’s rights under its loan documents for loans that have defaulted or are otherwise considered higher-risk. This includes foreclosures, receiverships, forbearances and other lender enforcement activities.
In this role you will:
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to work under time-sensitive deadlines, creating efficiencies for addressing a high volume of loan originations.
- Work with the business and our customers to identify risks and develop solutions in the negotiation and documentation process, including through title review and endorsements, subordination agreements and other intercreditor agreements, and customization of loan documents for higher-value loans.
- Proactively address potential loss exposure issues to ensure recourse is protected and initiated against the borrower and other parties involved.
- Manage enforcement and collection activity in accordance with all statutory and regulatory compliance and company guidelines, working with and managing outside counsel across the United States as necessary.
- Engage proactively with various interested parties, including borrowers, attorneys, capital partners, and title insurers.
- Diligently follow-up on requests from internal employees, outside counsel, and appointed receivers.
- Prepare demand letters, notices of default, title claims, and drafts of initial pleadings as appropriate.
- Establish written guidelines for internal use as well as for outside counsel assisting in receivership, default proceedings, foreclosures, and collections.
- Establish multistate lending and default guidance.
- Counsel on regulatory matters.
- D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
- 5+ years legal experience (with at least 3 years at a highly-regarded law firm)
- Strong background in construction and real estate finance (with experience representing lenders preferred)
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to consistently produce high quality work-product and demonstrate high attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a cross-functional team
- Applicable experience necessary to understand not only the legal issues but also the business considerations relevant to our industry
- Process-oriented with the ability and desire to identify, develop and implement efficiencies and improvements
This position is based in the Builders Capital corporate office in Puyallup, Washington.
This job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job; however, there may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Construction Loan Services II LLC (Builders Capital) and its affiliates are Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employers and welcome all qualified applicants. This is a full-time exempt position. The job description contained herein is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position, which may change without notice.
Builders-Capital is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact Sean-Bobadilla@Builders-Capital.com